What's the danger?
Poisonous plants can stand in the pot for many years and do no harm to anyone. Sometimes, however, a moment of inattention is enough for a problem to arise. All because of curiosity and ignorance of the threat on the side of children, who like to explore the world by touch or tasting.
The toddler can break the leaf of a poisonous plant, crush it, taste it, touch the soil, drink water to water the flowers. He can just touch the leaves and put his fingers in his mouth. Rub the leaf on the skin ... This is sometimes enough ... And this is why many adults prefer to be cold and give up potentially harmful flowers at home when the children are small.
He is considered to be toxic to humans, dogs and cats. Meanwhile, it is one of the most popular indoor plants often gaining spectacular dimensions.
contains calcium oxalate crystalsthat are toxic. In humans, they usually cause a moderately intense reaction - inflammation of the skin and swelling of the lips, as well as problems with the digestive system. In extreme cases with high consumption the effect can be fatal. Philodendron has a much more dangerous effect on dogs and cats.
Philodendron should be stored on higher shelves or window sills, out of reach of children and animals.
Potos, Golden Epipremnum
Potos also called golden epipremnum or devil's ivy is recommended because of the beautiful two-colored leaves. It is considered one of the best house plants with beneficial effects - used for air purification. It is also easy to breed.
An inadequately eaten leaf can cause considerable discomfort. Most often causes burning in the mouth, swelling of the lips, tongue and throat (which may cause shortness of breath), skin irritation, vomiting, diarrhea. If the leaves are eaten by animals, this may result upset stomach or breathing problem. In extreme cases it leads to death.
Another floor plant that can be dangerous for children. It has leathery green leaves with elements of silver, yellow, looking like swords. It is their characteristic shape that owes its name.
Fortunately the toxicity level of this plant is low. It causes symptoms that fortunately disappear quite quickly. Most often they are: nausea, mouth pain, excessive salivation.
Persian cyclamen, alpine violet
Persian cyclamen is a very popular, eagerly grown ornamental plant. Availability in many colors increases its attractiveness.
contains cyklaminę, which can cause unpleasant symptoms - nausea, diarrhea and stomach ache.
Thistles (Syngonium podophyllum)
Zroślicha is related to philodendron. It presents beautifully and is willingly grown. Young plants have heart-shaped leaves, and older stalks that shoot high above the ground. He constantly sheds leaves, new ones grow in their place. For this reason, even placing the plant out of reach may not be enough.
Eating a leaf may end vomiting, stomach irritation. Leaves can also irritate the skin, resulting in changes to it.
Spathiphyllum is a popular plant, also called the peace lily. It is evergreen, has characteristic shiny leaves, in the central part it has beautiful white flowers. It is also considered a plant purifying the air.
Unfortunately, if a leaf is eaten by a child, it can cause unpleasant symptoms, and in extreme cases even death.
Dieffenbachia is related to philodendron. It is called "Stupid cane." contains oxalate crystals, kwhich have toxic effects.
Due to the fast growth rate and large leaves, is often placed on the floor. Unlike philodendron, however, it only causes mild signs of intoxication. Other symptoms include: pain in the mouth, burning sensation, swelling, excessive salivation, throat numbness.
Caladium is a very popular houseplant, also eagerly planted in gardens. It comes in many colors - red, white, pink. All varieties are toxic to humans and animals.
After swallowing a leaf it may come to painful burning, swelling of the mouth, tongue, throat. They may appear shortness of breath, which will be the direct cause of death. In pets, eating caladium can cause vomiting, dizziness and difficulty breathing.
Ivy looks beautiful when it grows on walls, fences, and at home it can create interesting compositions. Few people know that ivy can cause skin irritations. Swallowed will cause burning in the mouth and throat. They may also appear convulsions, rash, fever. Severe symptoms appear after eating more leaves.
And pets eating ivy leaves can cause diarrhea, weakness, tremors and vomiting.
Star of Bethlehem
Euphorbia pulmonaria (Euphorbia pulcherrima) popularly the Bethlehem star is a well-known plant, which we decide to buy, especially at Christmas. Not everyone knows that it is poisonous. It owes its toxic properties white juice, which he exudes, containing skin irritants, causing diarrhea, abdominal pain and in rare cases kidney inflammation.
Do you pay attention to plant toxicity?